7317 Dwinelle & 630 Barrows
Postcolonial theory, Film Theory and (De)Aesthetics, French cinema, Third cinema, Avant-Garde cinema, Documentary, Ideology and Film, Film and video production,
Feminist theory (Designated emphasis in women, gender, and sexuality),
social, art and literary theory,
music composition, ethnomusicology, cultural anthropology,
For more details, please visit Publications
- Elsewhere, Within Here. Immigration, Refugeeism and The Boundary Event. Forthcoming, New York & London: Routledge, August 2010
- Habiter un monde. In collaboration with Jean-Paul Bourdier, Paris: Editions Alternatives, 2005 (Book on West African rural achitecture)
- The Digital Film Event. New York & London: Routledge, 2005
- Trinh T. Minh-ha / Secession. Vienna, Austria: Secession, 2001 (Book published in English and in German with the Exhibition and Film Retrospective at Secession, Vienna, Austria, March 6 – April 30, 2001).
- Cinema Interval. New York & London: Routledge, 1999.
- Drawn From African Dwellings. In coll. with Jean-Paul Bourdier. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996. German edition: Trinh T. Minh-ha: Texte, Filme, Gespräche. Ed. Hedwig Saxenhuber & Madeleine Bernstorff. Kunstverein München, SYNEMA-Gesellschaft für Film und Medien, Blickpilotin e.V., 1995. (A selection of essays, film script and interviews).
- Framer Framed. New York & London: Routledge, 1992.
- Japanese edition: trans. Fukuko Kobayashi, et al. Tokyo: Kinokunya. In preparation.
- When the Moon Waxes Red. Representation, Gender & Cultural Politics. New York & London: Routledge, 1991.
- Japanese edition : trans. Fukuko Kobayashi, Tokyo: Misuzu Publishers, 1996.
- Woman, Native, Other. Writing Postcoloniality and Feminism. Indiana University Press, 1989.
- Japanese edition: trans. Kazuko Takemura, Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten Publishers, 1995.
- German edition: trans. Anna Babka, forthcoming at Verlag Turia & Kant, Vienna, Austria.
- En minuscules. Book of poems. Paris, France: Le Méridien éditeur (formerly Les Editions Saint-Germain des Près), 1987.
- African Spaces. Designs for Living in Upper Volta. In coll. with Jean-Paul Bourdier. New York, London: Holmes & Meier, 1985.
- Un Art sans oeuvre. Troy, Michigan: International Book Publishers, 1981.
- Out There: Marginalisation in Contemporary Culture. Co-editor with Cornel West, Russell Ferguson & Martha Gever. New York: New Museum of Contemporary Art and M.I.T. Press, 1990.
- Night Passage. 2004, 98 min digital feature narrative. Distributed by Women Make Movies (New York); British Film Institute, London (UK); Freunde der Deutschen Kinematheke, Berlin (Germany).
- The Fourth Dimension. 2001. 87 mins. Digital film. Distributed by Women Make Movies (New York); British Film Institute, London (UK); Freunde der Deutschen Kinematheke, Berlin (Germany).
- A Tale of Love. USA 1995 (Released 1996). 108 mins. 35mm. Distributed by Women Make Movies (New York), Image Forum (Japan), & Freunde der Deutschen Kinematheke (Berlin).
- Shoot for The Contents. 1991. 102 mins. Distributed by Women Make Movies (New York)); Idera (Vancouver), Cinenova (London), Image Forum (Japan), and Cinemedia (Melbourne, Australia).
- Surname Viet Given Name Nam. 1989. 108 mins. Distributed by Women Make Movies, New York; Idera, Vancouver (Canada); Cinenova, London (England); Image Forum (Japan); Cinemedia (Melbourne, Australia).
- Naked Spaces - Living is Round. 1985 . 135 mins. Distributed by MOMA, New York; Women Make Movies, New York; Cinenova, London; IDERA, Vancouver, Canada; and Cinemedia (Melbourne, Australia).
- Reassemblage. 1982. 40 mins. Distributed by MOMA, New York; Women Make Movies, New York; Third World Newsreel, New York; Cinenova, London; IDERA, Vancouver, Canada; and Cinemedia (Melbourne, Australia).
INSTALLATION, VIDEO, & PHOTO EXHIBITION
- Old Land New Waters. A video installation composed of two sequences: Dât (Land), approx 7mins, and Nuoc (Water) approx 11mins. The installation has been conceived for and exhibited at the following events: 1) the opening of the new Prefecture Museum and museum of Fine Arts of Okinawa in Japan (November 2007); 2) for the traveling Chechnya Emergency Biennale which showed in San Francisco (Jan 25 to mid-February, 2008, invited by Global Commons Foundation as a main event of the World Social Forum); and 3) for the Third Guangzhou Art Triennale at Guangdong Museum, China (Sept 6 – Nov 16, 2008). 4) “Migrations and Expressions,” Prefecture Museum and museum of Fine Arts of Okinawa in Japan (Jan 31- 3-29, 2009).
- L’Autre marche (The Other Walk). In collaboration with Jean-Paul Bourdier. Large-scale multi-media installation. The project was completed for the opening of the Musée du Quai Branly on June 19 2006 and continued to be on view for the next three years (2006 – 2009).
- Bodies of the Desert. 20 min digital video on land art and body art. First shown in Jean-Paul Bourdier\\\'s solo exhibition of photography "Mineral Time" Gallery Blu (Santa Clara, CA) Nov 10 - December 5, 2005, and released with Bourdier\\\\\\\'s book of photography, Bodyscapes (San Rafael: Earth Aware, 2007).
- The Desert is Watching. A photo-and-video installation made in coll. with Jean-Paul Bourdier. Selected and commissioned by the Kyoto Art Biennale 2003. This installation is the first manifestation of a larger on-going project whose realization will take on different forms in different locations and circumstances. Kyoto Art Center, Japan, October 3 – November 30, 2003.
- Nothing But Ways. A large-scale, multi-media installation made in coll. with Lynn M. Kirby. Commissioned by The YBCA, with additional funding and grants from Kelsey St Press, LEF Foundation & Zellerbach Fund. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, June 4 - August 15, 1999.
- Photo-montage. Enlarged stills from Shoot for the Contents with photographic design by Jean-Paul Bourdier; "Post-Colonial California" Exhibition at San Francisco State University, February 27-March 23, 1995.
Honor Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts, CCA California College of Arts, 2007
Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts, Oberlin College, 1990.
Women's Caucus for Art Lifetime Achievement Award, 2012.
Critics Choice Book Award of the American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
for the book Elsewhere Within Here, 2012.
Trailblazers Award, MIPDOC, Cannes International Documentary Film Event, France, 2006
CAA, Annual Achievement Award from the Committee on Women in the Arts, College Art Association, 2006.
Maya Deren National Independent Filmmaker Award, American Film Iinstitute, 1991
Jury's Best Cinematography Award, Sundance Film Festival, 1992 (for the film Shoot for the Contents)
Best Experimental Feature Documentary, Athens International Film Festival. 1992