Applying to the Doctoral Program
- Submission of the online application including a Statement of Purpose, Personal Statement, Writing Sample, and a List of Faculty whose research is of particular interest to the applicant.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Transcripts from previous institutions .
- Statement of foreign language proficiency .
- A $120 application fee for U.S. citizens and permanent residents; $140 fee for all others.
Applications are evaluated by a departmental committee which evaluates the overall portrait of the applicant based upon the statement of purpose, personal statement, writing samples, letters of recommendation, and previous grades and test scores. The admissions process is highly competitive and acceptance rates are usually below 10%. Admission decisions are made in mid-March, and notifications are sent by email.