Financial Support for Admitted Students

Each admitted student is provided with a package of support which usually consists of a combination of graduate teaching appointments and/or fellowship support. Graduate teaching appointments in the undergraduate curriculum are a significant part of students graduate training and support. Fellowships, tuition support, and nominated fellowship opportunities are available throughout the students graduate career, dependent on merit and excellence in academic progress. 

The Department recognizes that for the graduate student, the educational and financial benefits of teaching eventually are offset by its time demands. Students therefore are encouraged to actively  seek out and apply for university and outside sources of financial aid, especially for the semesters immediately following the qualifying exam.


Residency Requirements:

UC has stronger requirements for residency than the State of California. Establishing residency should be your first priority. With it come a number of benefits, not least qualifying for in-state tuition once residency has been established. The following explanation is from a residency adviser at UCOP. Please read carefully and follow up on the recommendations:

Incoming students should be aware that by default, ALL students need to satisfy the residence requirements by acquiring all applicable legal indicia and 366-days of continuous physical presence ending on the Residence Determination Date for the relevant term. 

As an example, for the UCB 2018 term, the student must be physically present in California by 8/24/2017 and acquire a CA driver’s license OR state ID card AND relinquish your existing out of state driver’s license if you own one all by 12/15/2016, register to vote if citizen, register car if applicable, and file CA income  tax returns as a resident (recommended to file even if income threshold to file).  The one-parent requirement doesn’t apply to graduate students.

In regard to the physical presence requirement, leaving California to visit a prior place of residence (usually family residence) is considered inconsistent with establishing residency.  UC policy will allow up to six weeks of travel during the first year but going home during school breaks will result in a nonresident classification.

Full information is available at .  Additionally, only the campus residence deputies are authorized to provide guidance and to issue resident classifications; statements by other UC personnel should not be relied upon. See (which duplicates this information) and for questions go to the Residence Affairs Supervisor at the Office of the Registrar.

Even if year one nonresident tuition is covered, the student needs to immediately take all steps to satisfy the residency requirements for year two to receive resident tuition.