An outline of the minimal requirements for completing the doctoral program in Rhetoric with a typical timeline follows. A more detailed version can be found here.
- Rhetoric 200, 205, and 2 other seminars, at least one of which is a Rhetoric seminar
- Rhetoric 375 (Pedagogy) by the first semester of the first GSI appointment
- Rhetoric Proseminar (2 units) offered every other year for first- and second-year students; check with the GSAO to confirm which year it will be scheduled.
- Year 1 Review (early in the 1st semester)
- Minimum of 4 seminars. By the end of Year 2, at least 3 elective seminars must be taken in Rhetoric
- Rhetoric Proseminar (2 units) If not scheduled in the first year.
- Rhetoric 375 (Pedagogy) by the first semester of the first GSI appointment (if not already taken in Year 1)
- Rhetoric Research Seminar (2 units)
- Fulfillment of the foreign language requirement (ideally by the end of the 1st semester)
- Successfully pass the Qualifying Examinations (by the end of the 2nd semester) for advancement to candidacy
- File an approved dissertation prospectus (by the end of the 1st semester)
Years 5 and 6
- Dissertation underway; annual Dissertation Candidacy Reviews; Prospectus and Dissertation Workshop (recommended)