Faculty and Staff Resources

Film & Media Requests

Film and Media Loan Request:

Film and Media, and Rhetoric faculty and graduate students can use this form to request a title or multiple titles from the Film and Media Collection. Loan Request Form

New Film Order Request:

Film and Media and Rhetoric faculty and graduate students can use this form if there is a title that you would like the department of Film and Media to add to their collection, or if there is a film that you would like to rent from a third party distributor or archive. Order Form

A current catalog of existing Film and Media can be viewed here: Film and Media Catalog

Plan your Event

Please allow at least four weeks for staff assistance in arranging travel/accomodations/catering for department events. 

Human Resources


Please DO NOT allow anyone (external vendor or student) to begin working before you have discussed the hiring process/vendoring process with a member of the staff.


You can find a copy of the CSS manual timesheet: here

Please complete and email directly to share_payroll@berkeley.edu

Timesheet Deadlines:

Are located here.

Questions about your pay, benefits or need to update your contact or banking information?

Click here to submit a request to your HR Partner at Campus Shared Services.

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers 

Requests to appoint a Visiting Scholar (VS) or Visiting Student Researcher (VSR) must be received by the Chair and staff at least 6 months prior to the intended start date. Before agreeing to sponsor a visitor, please email rfahacademichr@berkeley.edu. Sponsors must be current full-time department faculty. Faculty who will be on sabbatical or research leave should not agree to sponsor individuals during their leave. Visitors might be doing their own research, but are required to check in and have access to their sponsor throughout their time at Berkeley.

Officially appointed visitors will have access to a campus CalNet ID card, a campus email address, and access to all campus library facilities. 

Visitors are required to pay a university services fee, a visa processing fee, and a Rhetoric Department fee ($250 per semester or summer for visiting student researchers, $500 per semester or summer for visiting scholars). 

Helpful Links for Faculty Reference 

Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs Office VSPA

Links to Visiting Scholar, Student Researcher, and Postdoc Appointment Definitions

Please note: If a recent grad needs library access, a library card might work for their needs. It's available to both community members and alumni (though the extent of their access may be limited). See the Library's page about library cards for non-UCB patrons.

Room Reservations

Room Details

142 Dwinelle – Lecture/Screening Room – Capacity of 88

188 Dwinelle – Lecture/Screening Room – Capacity of 49 

226 Dwinelle – Seminar Room – Capacity of 28

7415 Dwinelle – Seminar Room – Capacity of 20 

Room Calendars:

142 Dwinelle Calendar

188 Dwinelle Calendar 

226 Dwinelle Calendar 

7415 Dwinelle Calendar 

Room Rental Policy

Departmental Reservations
Instructors and grad students from the Rhetoric and Film & Media departments may use the above rooms free of charge. To request a room, please first carefully read the room details (above), check the calendars (above) to find an appropriate room for your event, and familiarize yourself with the rules and procedures for all events section of this page (below). Then email your request to Heather Reilly (heatherreilly@berkeley.edu

Non-Affiliate and Student Group Reservations
Room usage by non-affiliated instructors and groups requires the payment of a rental fee. The rate for Departments is $200 per event, and the rate for student organizations is $50 per event. Please contact heatherreilly@berkeley.edu to make a reservation and familiarize yourself with the rules and procedures for all events.

Rooms are available Monday-Friday, 8am-10pm excluding University holidays.

Please submit your request at least two weeks in advance of your event.

Rules and procedures for all events:

The following applies to all events that take place in Rhetoric and Film & Media departmental spaces:

  • You will receive a room orientation (either in person or remote) before using the room.
  • You will enforce all F&M room policies while occupying the rented room, especially our strict NO FOOD OR DRINK policy.
  • As per the room orientation, you will confirm before leaving the building that all doors and windows have been securely locked and that all the necessary audiovisual equipment has been shut down.
  • Clean up and remove any trash after your event. A cleaning fee may be assessed if excessive mess is left behind.
  • Return keys within 48hrs after the event.
  • When you receive your keys you will be asked to pay fees (if applicable) and fill out a Facility Use Permit (FUP).

Other Event Spaces on Campus:

General Assignment Classrooms
General Assignment (GA) classrooms are managed by the Office of the Registrar and can be reserved by faculty/staff or registered/sponsored student groups. See the Classroom Reservations page on the Office of the Registrar website for more information

UC Berkeley Library Collaboration Spaces on Campus with AV
Group study rooms are available to current UCB students, faculty and staff. A Cal 1 Card (UCB ID) must be presented to check out a room key. All study rooms can be checked out for 2 hours per UCB ID. Room reservations can be made up to 7 days in advance. 

Reimbursements and Payments

Reimbursements and Payments:

The UC Berkeley Reimbursement System should be used for costs associated with travel, entertainment, supplies, conference registration, computers, memberships, and more. 

  • Please select Katie Robertson as your preferred approver when submitting your reimbursement request.
  • You can find your chartstrings and fund balances on PI Portfolio. Please email Katie with any questions. Please make sure your VPN is connected to access this website.
  • If you have any general questions about reimbursements, please email Katie.
  • Please keep in mind that all service related expenses (services include paid labor, such as laptop repairs, film processing, translation, editorial work, etc.) will need to go through BearBuy and the vendoring process tends to take at least a few weeks. A Purchase Order in BearBuy must be created prior to ANY work being completed.

Additional Resources:

Entertainment Reimbursements

  • Employees seeking reimbursement of meal and entertainment expenses must submit their report(s) within 45 days of the end date of the meeting or event.
    • Expense reports submitted late may still be paid with appropriate approvals; the amount of the payment may be reported as taxable income.
  • You must provide a PDF of your original, itemized receipt.
  • Entertainment expenses that are lavish or extravagant are not reimbursable.
  • Reimbursements will only be paid up to the allowable campus per person meal expense limit: 
    • Breakfast $31
    • Lunch $54
    • Dinner $94
    • Light Refreshments $22

Note: These amounts include cost of food and beverages, labor, sales tax, delivery charges, gratuity and other service fees. The costs of room rental, room set-up fees, media rental, and decorations, etc., are not included in the per-person costs unless these costs cannot be separated by the vendor.

For additional information, please see UCB's Entertainment Policy and the Controller’s Office list of allowable expenses. Please view this PDF for step by step instructions on how to submit an entertainment reimbursement request or view this video for additional information.

Travel Reimbursements

  • Within 45 days after returning home, you must file an expense report to document the business purpose of the trip and the full amount of the cost.
    • If you failed to submit your reimbursement within 45 days, any exceptions will be treated as taxable income, which would result in the employee’s being subject to withholding on those reimbursements. 
  • Employees and students may book flights for business travel through the UC travel system ConnexUC to avoid having to pay out of pocket for business trips(otherwise flights and other travel expenses are able to be submitted for reimbursed at the end of the trip).
  • This means employee and student travelers will also need to use the Direct Bill system to generate the identification number that will be used to pay for flights within ConnexUC. Please contact Katie if you need help creating a Direct Bill ID.
  • For additional details on travel reimbursements, please see Key Points of the Travel Policy
  • Please view this PDF for step by step instructions on how to submit a travel reimbursement request or view these videos for additional information.

Other Reimbursements

  • The Reimbursement System has an option to submit a request for all expenses, not just travel and entertainment expenses.
  • The new types of expenses you can submit are those covered in UCOP Policy BUS-43and include lab supplies, conference registration, office supplies, computers, memberships, office relocation, and more. 
  • There is a list of the most common expense types in this category on the Controller’s Office website. 
  • Please view this PDF for step by step instructions on how to submit an other reimbursement request or view this video for additional information.

Honorarium Requests

  • An honorarium is a one-time payment granted in recognition of a special service or distinguished achievement for which propriety forbids any fixed business price to be set and is manifested by an activity such as a special lecture, participation in a workshop or panel discussion, or similar activities.
  • Please submit your honorarium payment request for a guest speaker here. Please note your visitor may need to be first set up as a vendor in order to be paid. You can find additional information here.
  • For more information on honoraria guidelines see the Controller’s Office, including information about honoraria paid to foreign individuals.

Links to UCB’s Websites & Resources

UCB Travel Website

Currency Converter

Foreign Per Diem Rates (US Department of State) 

Free Travel Insurance for UC Business Travelers

The Benefits of Connexxus for UC faculty and staff

UC Berkeley Travel – Creating a Direct Bill ID

Reimbursement Website

Website Updates & Other Resources

To request website updates, click here(link is external). For other FAQs and resources, please see this department guide

Resources for current faculty and staff