University fellowships including dissertation year fellowships are awarded by Graduate Division during spring semester on the basis of nominations by the Department. Any student who takes his or her qualifying exams by the third year in the program is guaranteed a two-semester stipend of $18,000 plus fees. See http://grad.berkeley.edu/financial/fellowships/ for Berkeley and extramural fellowship deadlines.
Departments award student fellowships and non-resident tuition waivers out of an annual “block grant.” Applications are emailed to students in February.
Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS) enable US citizens and permanent residents to acquire a high level of competence in one or more languages. There are academic year awards and summer awards. Students may pick up FLAS applications at the Fellowships and Appointments Office (318 Sproul) starting in October.
Reduced Nonresident Tuition
Nonresident students who advance to candidacy for the PhD have their nonresident tuition fees waived for a maximum of 3 years.
External Funding Opportunities:
- AAUW’s American Fellowships
- American Academy of Arts & Sciences Fellowships
- American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Fellowships
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowships
- Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund
- Ford Foundation Fellowships
- Fullbright U.S. Student Program
- Getty Foundation Fellowships
- Institute for Advanced Study Membership
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowships
- Mabelle McLeod Memorial Fund
- Mellon/ACLS Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Newberry Fellowships
- National Humanities Center Fellowships
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Fellowships